Even the poor and marginalized chip in for Sendong victims
Bayan Muna launches 'bente-bente' fundraiser
Even the poor and marginalized sectors are chipping in to help the victims of typhoon Sendong.
Bayan Muna this week organized a fund and resource generation campaign among its poor members and supporters dubbed “Bente Mong Pamasko, I-donate sa Biktima ng Bagyo” to show that poverty is not an excuse to help others.
"You don't have to be rich to be a donor. Bente-bente lang, pwede na," said Bayan Muna Rep. Teddy Casiño of their ongoing campaign in various urban poor communities.
Said Casiño: “As the spirit of Christmas is now being manifested in the pouring of relief goods and funds to the victims of Tropical Storm Sendong, one is reminded of a parable narrated by Jesus himself about the poor widow who put a measly two copper coins in the temple treasury. Jesus said, 'this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.'"
“Those who are themselves hard up and still give truly understand the meaning of giving, so we are encouraging those from the ranks of the poor to donate to the victims of Sendong,” he said.
He said in just two days, organizers were able to gather P1,947 and 28 sacks of used clothing from their members in the urban poor communities. "We hope this will help not only those devastated by Sendong but empower and give dignity to the poor who, in their own little way, also help their fellow poor,” said Casiño.
Casiño was in Cagayan de Oro city yesterday to help in the relief operations in the various devastated barangays of the city. He joined various NGOs and people's organizations under the Bantay Bulig Disaster Relief Center in distributing relief packs to more than a thousand affected families in Barangays Makasandig, Tambo, Carmen and Balulan. # # #
- Kick-off Human Rights week: Anakpawis solon joins solidarity fasting in support for the release of all political prisoners
- Harassment vs. Hacienda Luisita farmers, Cojuangco family’s defiance against Duterte admin’s vow to effect change in agrarian reform
- Solons demand release of political prisoners, including sick and elderly teachers
- Gabriela solon warns against setting the stage for Marcosian policies amid terror alert level 3, bomb plots
- See how the Cuban people mourn a real hero – Anakpawis to Duterte